Friday, October 12, 2007

TGIY!

The girls are out of school this week and the whole family (nine of us), twins and all took in a movie, “The Game Plan,” starring Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson. I was coerced into going and then surreptitiously enjoyed the movie, keep it to yourself please.

The reviews are mid-range (3 on scale of 5), but one reviewer wrote, “The Game Plan, by comparison, is a sweet, funny story that made me smile, gasp and, yes, shed a few tears.” I got a kick out of my granddaughter, afterward, announcing to the world that her mother cried during the movie. And if I weren’t so macho, I’d admit to a tear forming, only one and in its formative stage, mind you, this confession for your eyes only.

I thought the directing was excellent and loved the visually creative back-and-forth camera shots between ballet movement and football action. The lead character’s name is Joe Kingman, befitting his perceived kingly status, and his mantra is, “Joe, Never Say No!” A poster with those words hangs conspicuously on the wall in his plushy apartment and focal to the film’s plot.

This mantra resonates with me on several levels. First, obviously, because my name is Joe, a stereotypical name to be sure. Think about it. G.I. Joe, Joe’s Bar, Cup of Joe, Joe Blow, Joe Smoe,Joe Cool, Joe Camel and the list goes on ad infinitum. I’m compiling same for a future writing project, so if you can add to this list, send them on.

More importantly, I hate the word, “no,” and firmly believe that it should be purged from our vocabulary. Granted, the “Keeper’s of the Regulations” (See Sept. 14 Aloha post right) in most traditional institutions and denominations would be out of a job. Can you visualize a board meeting without the use of the word, “no?” Emails would slow to a dribble. Middle management staff positions would be eliminated, thus allowing budgets to be freed up for grass-roots mission priorities. Chaos, risk-taking and creativity would abound. Failure would be tolerated. The Kingdom would increase exponentially (Insert “Hallelujah Chorus” here).

In an early day staff appointment, I served directly under the Chief Secretary, second-in-command or “Chief Keeper of the Regulations” in our ecclesiastical body. I affectionately referred to him as “Colonel No” – under my breath you understand. By the way, “Regulation Keepers” are found up and down the hierarchical ladder, lurking in corners everywhere, plenty to go around for everyone, lest you be feeling left out.

Anyway, Colonel No’s responses to my brilliant, innovative, creative ideas inspired me to mount a flagpole on the corner of my desk. The idea was that, every time I heard the word, “yes,” the flag would go up, “no,” it would remain down. Sad to say, there was very little flag waving during my tenure in that appointment. But, brother, when it did go up there was cause for celebration; corks popping, party hats donned, glasses lifted and laughter erupting – TGIY (Thank God it’s Yes!) – Party Time!

When Jesus came, the regulation keepers were understandably bummed. He took away their “no’s,” replacing them with a resounding, “Yes!” The “shalt nots” were replaced with “thou shalts.” The disciples partied day and night, with but a few exceptions, and the Pentecostal experience was like New Year’s Eve – a new beginning. “YES!” (Arm pump goes here). His followers were released, empowered and, yes, given permission to fail, which they surely did now and again, big-time sometimes.

But as surely as God is faithful, our message to you is not "Yes" and "No." For the Son of God, Jesus Christ, who was preached among you by me and Silas and Timothy, was not "Yes" and "No," but in him it has always been "Yes." For no matter how many promises God has made, they are "Yes" in Christ. (2 Cor. 1:18-20 NIV)

I don’t want to sound too smug here, but you must know that life in retirement is one releasing, empowering, never-ending “Yes!” Must conclude on this note because Doris is calling and she never takes “no” for an answer.

“Yes, dear, I’m coming… Do what?!!!”

(Posted on TGIF, by the way)

No comments: